Tuesday 19 July 2011

My Visit with Emmanuel and His Family


It struck me when I visited Emmanuel and his family how little it takes to make a difference in the life of a child in Ghana and their family. I've been sponsoring Emmanuel for a number of years, but it wasn't until I met Emmanuel, his mother, younger brother and sister in their village today that I really understood the impact of sponsorship. $33.00 a month is so little for me, but in Ghana it means that a child will have the opportunity to go to school, and have a better future. When we arrived at their small home in their little village, Emmanuel's mother came out to greet me and express her gratitude. I brought some gifts for Emmanuel and his family, and it was heart-warming to see their beaming faces when they received them. His mother in turn gave me three beautiful hand-woven baskets which she had made, and Emmanuel gave me a live rooster. The rooster was a surprise to say the least and I certainly felt guilty about taking their next meal, but Philip said that it was important to accept their gift, so I did. Emmanuel is very bright and I hope one day to receive a letter announcing his graduation from University.
If you are not sponsoring a child, I urge you to contact Chalice and sign up. There are so many Ghanaian children waiting for sponsorship, and the opportunity to go to school. They really do need your help.

No comments: