Friday 15 July 2011

Walking to the Market

                                                                          Maxwell

Today was a rest day so we decided to venture out down the road for a walk on our own. Passing a seamstress I stopped in to inquire about having a dress made. She measured me, had a chuckle, quoted me 6 Ghanian cedis for a one piece dress and said that I would need to buy three yards of fabric at the market. Along the way we acquired a little friend, 13 year old Maxwell, who had been sent home from school because he hadn't paid the 5 Ghanian cedis levy. Maxwell was simply delightful as he accompanied us to the Market, picked out the material I should buy, and generally looked out for us. He was fascinated with my digital camera, was thrilled to see himself on the camera and excited to take pictures himself. Unfortunately he took a picture of some boys who later followed us through the Market and down the road. All ended well with Maxwell going home with his sister, and us sticking to the busy road on our way back to the seamstress and then home. I'm looking forward to picking up my finished top and skirt next Wednesday.

No comments: